Eat Clean - Bean There Done That!

Ok, so my whole life desserts have not been my weakness. I'd much rather have a pizza than cake. Cheesy chicken nachos over ice cream. And even some comfort food like chili with cheese and sour cream over brownies any day! 

Lots of things happen during pregnancy, but the one thing I've denied for many years now is that it changed the way I crave dessert. Mostly in the way that now I crave them, whereas before I had children, not so much.

Picture from Chocolate-Covered Katie blog of actual dessert mentioned below!

Most of my recipes center around real cooking for real families for real health. However, I accidentally tried a bite of this recipe tonight. A friend brought it to Starbucks to celebrate the birthday of one of our GNO friends. It was insanely good. And of course, I could have eaten the whole thing without batting an eye, especially since we were at Starbucks and a Grande Pike Black was only steps away. However, luckily for everyone involved, I arrived late and there was really only two small pieces which I split with 2 little munchkins. 

THEN ... sitting, I hope .... THEN, the rock star genius dessert maker exclaims it's healthy and has pumpkin and GARBANZO beans in it. Seriously? I love garbanzos. Not with chocolate!! But, I now stand corrected. 

Beans, chocolate and pumpkin are delightful!

So as any red-blooded American, I came home and googled it. And here we are. I found a great sweet tooth based blogger named Katie. I'm certain I will be frequenting her blog again in the near future. Until then, I'll be in the kitchen making this ridiculous dessert

CHOCOLATE PUMPKIN PIZOOKIE!


  • 2 cans white beans or garbanzos (drained and rinsed) (500g total, once drained)
  • 1 cup quick oats
  • 1/4 cup pureed pumpkin (or butternut squash or sweet potato)
  • 2 tsp pure vanilla extract
  • 1/2 tsp baking soda
  • 2 tsp baking powder
  • 1/2 tsp salt
  • 1 and 1/2 tsp cinnamon
  • 3 tbsp vegetable oil or coconut oil
  • 1 and 1/2 cups brown sugar or coconut sugar (For a sugar-free version, perhaps try xylitol. Also, white sugar will work if you don’t have brown. Also: I know some readers have successfully made my original pie with agave, but I haven’t tried it.)
  • 1 cup chocolate chips
Blend everything (except the chips) very well in a food processor (NOT a blender). Blend until it’s super-smooth. Mix in chips, and pour into a pan. (I used a 10-inch springform pan, but you can use a smaller pan if you want a really deep-dish pie.) Cook at 350F for 35 minutes. Let stand at least 10 minutes before removing from the pan.

Oh, and BTW, if you have a sweet tooth - here is Katie's bloghttp://chocolatecoveredkatie.com/ 



- - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - - 
Like this recipe? Buy me a smoothie.