Eat Clean - Make your own Beans!






I love being frugal. But sometimes, not at the cost of valuable time. When I found out how simple and affordable it is to make my own beans, I seriously considered going into the canned bean business!

I started trying all sorts of beans in my mini-crock. Garbanzo beans (chickpeas), black beans, pinto beans for homemade refried beans, and red beans.

So I literally sorted, rinsed and tossed 2 cups of beans into my mini-crock pot, covered the beans in water almost to the top, added some seasonings and set it to HIGH.

Don't add any oil while cooking. Wait until they are all done to see if you want/need olive  oil.

I have been purchasing dried beans in bulk for quite a while. I store them in mason jars in my cupboard specifically so they don't get tucked away and I forget about them. Plus, the cupboard display is lovely. It makes me happy.

My refried bean recipe!

Here is what you'll need to make your own beans. Super Simple!

A crock pot or pot with lid
Water
Salt & Seasoning
Dried beans


Just dump all the ingredients in the pot and cook on high for a few hours.


Every crockpot is different. I have THREE and they are never done at the same time. So ... my nose tells me when beans are done. This pot of pinto beans above cooked on high for 3 hours. DONE!

I spooned off most of the cooking liquid and reserved. Then, I used my immersion blender to make the beans smooth. If they are too dry, I have the seasoned cooking water to add in.

Many dessert recipes call for beans. Have you heard of Black Bean Brownies? Or Garbanzo Pizzookie? If you're making beans for a dessert, use less salt and no other seasonings.



Now you have all the info you need to make a super affordable, super easy beans!
No more cans and unwanted ingredients. 

NOW GO COOK!


And snap a picture of your family enjoying them and share it with me!